Are finding business casual outfits causing you to tear your hair out in the morning? Do you stand in your closet, looking for business casual ideas?
Business casual is the merging of two types of attire – business dress and casual clothing. The challenge is that when people try to combine these styles, the clothing choices are almost limitless.
So how can you put together business casual outfits that make you look good? Here are 5 tips for success.
1. Don’t think that anything goes. The biggest mistake in creating a business casual wardrobe is to think that you can just throw on anything you like. That may work for a few days. But you’ll soon find that you are running out of things to wear.
2. Plan your wardrobe. You have to plan your business casual wardrobe in the same way you plan a business formal wardrobe. You have to think about your needs, your body shape and personality, and your work environment. Then you have to shop carefully to put together a wardrobe that won’t cause you grief every morning as you wonder what to wear.
3. Capsule Wardrobe: The best way to do this is to create a capsule wardrobe based on a neutral pallet of navy, grey or black. Put together a few basic such as a jacket and pants or skirt that fit you well. Now you are all set to add color and accessories to suit your work style. This way you always have something to wear, and you’ll know that all the parts of your outfits work well together.
4. Keep a separate wardrobe. Don’t mix your weekend wear with your business casual wear. You’ll end up wearing clothes that you wore to walk your dog or buy groceries on the weekend. Then if you don’t have time to clean and press them, you’ll look less than polished and professional at work.
5. Keep your outfits simple. Pair a crisp shirt or blouse, or a nice sweater, with pants or a skirt that fit you well, in a neutral color. Add some accessories, such as a good watch, classic necklace or earring for women, a good leather briefcase or handbag, and you’re set for the workplace